Silk Mask Dyeing
HALLOWEEN IS COMING and with it I'm thinking about activities that are enjoyable to do outside with children. Making our own costumes has been a favorite activity in my home when my children were young. This year I thought that a dye your own silk mask and Playsilk would be a fun project. Stella wanted to be a rainbow so she made a matching rainbow cape and mask. Our white masks and Playsilks can be dyed or decorated with fabric marker pens to create any costume you and your child can imagine. And I believe that having children involved in making their masks special will help them feel more comfortable wearing them.
October 1st, 2020
What you'll need:
- India Tree Dyes
- White vinegar
- Large bowls and metal spoons
- Warm water
- A drying rack
- White silk masks - we sell packs for dyeing here
How to dye your own:
1. Fill each bowl with warm water.
2. Add 2 TBSP of white vinegar.
3. Add the dye - decide how dark you want it by putting a white paper towel in to test.
4. Dip your masks into desired colors.
7. Hang to dry (you can rinse if you want to but it isn't necessary).
Enjoy! Mask dyeing are an eco-friendly Halloween costume idea and they'll be used in many ways for open-ended play as well as going out in public long after Halloween is over.