This Halloween we are excited to celebrate both the holiday and Mother Earth! There are so many ways to make a costume from both things you already own as well as recyclable materials. A cardboard mask is a creative and sustainable way to make your Halloween costume even more amazing this year.
1. Start by gathering materials and finding the best cardboard for this project. We would suggest sturdy cardboard that is still thin enough to bend and shape.
2. Draw out the shape of your animal's face, ears, and then snout. The sizing will depend on the size of your child as well as the type of animal you are making.
3. Cut out two ovals for the eyes (be sure to check that it is aligned with your child's eyes). Then gently bend the main section of the mask in order to better fit the curve of the face.
4. Sew the top of the snout and both ears onto the mask with the embroidery thread. Alternatively you could use hot glue or a stapler to attach the snout to the mask.
5. Place the wooden dowel in the middle of a small rectangle of cardboard. Using your embroidery thread stitch from one side of the cardboard rectangle to the other, wrapping the dowel in thread. Once you are done, cut the thread and knot it on the front side of the dowel to keep it sturdy.
6. Sew or hot glue the cardboard rectangle to the back side of the mask. This will give your child a dowel to hold the mask up with.
We hope you have a wonderful and creative Halloween!
Sarah & Madlyn